Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Chapter 5


Chapter 5: Severa Muddy Three

Vvardenfell's Great City Vivec

Day 56

We finally reached home after more than a week on the road.  As I lit the candles in the lamps, Julan turned to me.  “Listen...Can we talk?  About what happened the other night?”
“Yes.”  I felt my guard going up. He hadn’t mentioned what had happened in that dimly lit guest yurt in days past and had not made another move.  I had no idea what that meant, but I guess I was going to find out.
“I need to know where I stand with you. I mean, I’d hate to think that kiss was just a one-off.  But I don’t know how you feel.  I don’t feel like making a fool of myself, if you’re not interested.”
“I am, Jules.  I am. I kissed you back, didn’t I?”
“Yeah….” He was smiling.  “No one’s ever kissed me quite like that before. But Anni, to be honest, I’m not in any position to get involved with someone.  My mission is too important, and this sort of thing has, uh… caused problems in the past.”
“So, what are you saying?”  He’s about as clear as mud.
“I know I shouldn’t be doing this, and I can’t let it get too serious, but…there’s something about you.  I don’t know what it is, but I’m intrigued.  I can’t stop thinking about you.  And I can’t help but wondering…Is there anyone else?”
“Afraid some big Nord might come and put a warhammer through your face?”
“No!  Well, maybe, but I don’t care if they do, let ‘em try,” he grinned.  “I just want to know if I have any competition.  Call me selfish, but I don’t like the thought of sharing you.”
“No.” I said honestly.  “There’s no one else.”
“Good—though surprising...Well, now that’s cleared up…” He moved in for a kiss.
“Ohhh, not so fast, Jules.  What about you?  Are you sure it’s all over between you and Shani?”
“I’ve barely spoken to the girl in two years…but yeah, we kind of left things unfinished.  I hurt her and of course she hates me now and I confess that bothers me.”
“In what way?” I asked, only mildly defensive.
“Oh, I wish things could have ended differently, but that doesn’t mean I’m sorry that it’s over or that I want her back, Anni.  It never would have worked.  I just wish we could still be friends.  Satisfied?”
“Yeah.” I nodded.
“Good,” he reached over and planted a soft kiss on my lips.


Day 58

I left Julan back at the house to go talk to Caius. I needed to see if he had anymore work.  As I walked across the cobbled road, I realized I had reached a milestone of sorts.  I had been in Vvardenfell for nearly two months.  I had a place to live, a beau and a relatively steady income—more than I ever had in Cyrodill.  Perhaps coming to Vvardenfell wasn’t such a bad idea after all— not that I had much choice!  But oh, it’s been good thus far.
Ald Sotha
“Hello, Caius.” I stepped in quietly as to gauge his mood.
“Annika, good to see you.  I had wondered where you’d been.” Oh it was fortunate that he was sober.
“I had taken your suggestion and found some side work, but I’m back now, if there’s anything you have for me.”
“I actually have three tasks for you.  I need more information on the Nerevarine Cult and Sixth house.
Gah! This again? Really? “Sure, Caius.”
“Speak to Mehra Milo, Addhiranirr and Huleeya in Vivec.  I’ve given you more specific information in the notes.  Speak to them and come back to me.  I’ll have more work for you then.”
“Ok.  But, could you tell me what this is all about?” I was tired of running these little errands about a religion I knew nothing and certainly cared nothing about.
“I’ll tell you what you need to know when you need to know it.  If you want to know more, than I suggest you read more.  Nothing in your papers mentioned illiteracy, though I wonder,” Caius spoke with a cold sarcasm that chilled me.
“I can read, Caius.” I said defensively.
“Well then maybe you should start.  Less time in the pubs and more time with a book.  That is all.  Come back when you have the information—and try to be less of a dolt!”
“Yes, sera.”
Walking along the Odai, I thought about what Caius had said. I was a dolt. I hadn’t bothered learning anything about Vvardenfell; in fact I had avoided it to the point that it seemed my ears involuntarily closed when his informants started talking.  All I knew was that I was on an island surround by people who hated each other and were either devoted to golden septims or psychotic Daedra.  I had met very few sane pilgrims in my travels.  Everyone seemed to be on edge, as if something terrible was going to happen.  Paranoia was rampant.  I suppose that could be attributed to the Emperor’s failing health, or the political instability of this tiny island, but it seemed Dagoth Ur, this devil who lived under the Red Mountains was the source.   In truth, he sounded like a story parents told their naughty children to get them to behave, “You’ll eat your supper or I’ll call Dagoth in.  Mommy, Daddy, there’s a Dagoth under my cot!”  I was smiling now, though I knew I would have to start understanding the people I was spying on. I met up with Julan and quickly briefed him on the mission.  He seemed much more interested in than I.  
“Vivec?  We’re going there?”
“Yeah, I heard it’s a nightmare to get around in.”
“Still, Anni…Vivec!  I’ve never been.” Jules then reigned in some of his awe.  “Home of the false gods!”
“Hmmm…”
Walking south through the Bitter Coast region headed for Vivec, we heard a loud scream as if someone was falling out of the air.  
“Oh, for Azura’s sake, Anni, we best go see what that is.”
“Oh gods,”  A mage was splattered on the ground.  “Wonder what caused this mess?  
“Maybe he was depressed…because he was a mage.”
“Haha. Very funny, but in case you haven’t noticed there’s a dead wood elf at our feet.  I see a book, Jules.” Carefully I lifted the lifeless arm of the mage, as if I was afraid of hurting him.  Silly thought, he’s dead after all.  Tarhiel, the dead wood elf, or at least the inscription on the book, had written a journal of his quest to create a traveling spell.  Obviously, it needed more work.
“I suppose of we’ll pass word of this when we reach civilization.  Perhaps he had family.”  We walked on to toward Vivec. “Julan, we’re going to stop by my house outside of Vivec and get some rest.”
“You have house in Vivec?  I thought you were just newly here and kind of broke.”
“I’m not new to a card table. Won it.” I had been there once before.  It was large, but unfurnished, the plumbing was a nightmare and well, I can see why it was being staked.
“You are woman with many hidden talents, Anni.”
“As I was saying we’ll stay at my home and head for out for some shrines.”
“What, no errand for Mr. Sugar?”
“Not today.  No, you’re going to meet a special friend of mine—if I can find him again, that is.”
“I’m intrigued.”
“Just wait till you meet him.  But first, there’s a ruin up ahead.  Let’s have a look, shall we?” Ald Sotha was the shrine and in it was Severa Magia, Night Mother of The Dark Brotherhood.  After being tipped off by one of my associates at the South Wall I had planned on going in there to see if it really was her minions that attacked me and why. Of course that hadn’t happened since Julan came on the scene, which was fortunate for both us, as I’m not sure how I would explain their attacks in the first place.  Who wanted me dead?  Sadly though, a conversation with Severa wasn’t in the cards.  She attacked me on site before I had ever uttered a word.  She, and her Dremora came at both us immediately.  Julan concentrated all of his power on both her summoned demons while I went for the lady in black—dressed exactly like the bastard who attacked me.  Whoever Severa really was and whatever she was protecting, she proved willing to hand her life over for; though the battle could have easily gone either way.   Severa fought well and had earned her title as well my respect, hitting me with everything from magic to poisioned darts.  Severa floored me and it was Julan who won the day by several lethal hits from his bow.  
“Jules, stop!  Don’t kill her!” I kneeled down beside the dying Night Mother.  “Severa, why have your people come for me?  In Balmora?”  She started laughing as blood spilt from the corners of her mouth, drenching her long black hair.  As long as I live I will never forget what I saw next.  Severa, rather than talk, breaking the bonds of the Dark Brotherhood’s code, took a dagger and slit her own throat.
“Gods, Anni.” Julan looked as if he had seen a ghost—worse actually. “What is going on and how do you know that woman?”
“I don’t know her, Julan, but somehow…she knows me.”  I then confessed to him my experience in Balmora with one of her minions and the crumpled sheet of paper.
“You never went to the Imperials about this?” he asked rather shocked.
“No Julan, I hate them almost as much as you do…I thought if I tracked her here, I could get some answers.” 
“So you planned this all along?” Julan confronted me angrily.  “You almost cost me my life and yours—you better have some answers, Anni.”
Servia Magia
“Well, Jules…maybe you should go ask her.  The lady with all the answers just slashed her throat.” I paused for a moment, feeling rather guilty.  I had used him.  “I’m sorry, though.  I should have told you earlier about the attack.”
“You think?” He asked caustically.
“Look, let’s see if she kept a ledger of some sort,” I suggested, eyes downcast like a child being caught.  “Maybe that will tell us something.  Oh and Jules,” he looked up at me, “thanks…for saving my life.”  
“Well, I guess we’re even now.” He helped me up then pulled me close and kissed me, making my knees weak.  “Chances and risks, Anni—I’ll hold you while close while you’re still with me.” Still dazed I nodded and said nothing else as we went through books and books of codes and names.
“Anne, come here.”  Julan held out, with a shaking a hand, a small black, leather bound book with names.  “Page six, third row down.  I saw my name in black ink.  Beside it, the initials E.C.V.S. were written in purple ink.  I tore the page out.  There was nothing I could do about it though.  Julan and I went back to the house and I fell into an uneasy sleep, waking at the slightest noise.


Day 59

In the morning we arrived at my favorite arms dealer.  Everyone called him a Mud Crab, though he was really a paranoid Wood Elf carefully disguised.
“By Azura, how do you know these people?” Julan was of course shocked.  
“I’m a thief, Jules.  You either know you’re clientele or you’re a very poor thief.”
“Hmmm,” Julan said uncomfortably.  I’m not sure how he felt about my chosen profession.  On the whole, he was a boy from the hills who had, until the last several weeks, lived a very sheltered life.  I wasn’t sure if I was a teacher or a corruptor.  
Mud Crab

“Muddy…” I started.
“It’s good to see you, sera.  You’re prospering.  Who’s this with you?”
“No one of consequence.” I figured if Julan was to be some sort of savior, the less dirt attached to his name the better.  I could take the hits.
“Shay…Lesh make a deal…” Muddy started as we haggled over the skooma and weapons for what seemed like hours.  In the end I had come out pretty good and made close to 50,000 septims.  Julan learned much about haggling.. and that Vvardenfell was a thieves paradise.
“Will you always live this life, sera?” Jules asked as we walked back toward to Vivec.
“No, thieves don’t really live long lives, but for now I need to make enough to complete my work and start over.”
“You know the problem with being so good at your…uh…chosen profession, Annika?  You never know when to stop.  When is enough…well, enough?” Jules was right and I knew I was in danger of becoming addicted to money, though more to the chase.  Raiding a thieves den or Daedric shrine gave me such a rush. It fed something in me.
“I’ll stop when there’s reason, Jules.”  That’s all I could really say and the only answer I could give him.
“What could stop you?” I said nothing but looked up at him. “What?” he asked coyly—he knew. We walked in silence with Vivec on the horizon.
“Oh, who do we have to see…” I said stretching loudly on the dimly lit floor mat in the foyer.  I hadn’t furnished the place at all.  It was early in the morning, the sun rose boldly behind Vivec.  “We’ll start with Huleeya, the Argonian.  Black Shalk Tavern.  Hopefully he’s awake.” I was barely so, though I was looking forward to meeting an Argonian, as I had never crossed paths with one before. Argonians were considered a beast race.  They looked much like lizards with large liquid eyes and beautiful skin.  The Black Marsh, their home, was often raided by slave traders and Argonians, sadly, were often victims of vicious racial hate.
Julan rose slowly, looking over towards me, across the room, a safe distance from me.  “So we’re asking a Morag Tong assassin for information now?  Your Cosades has some interesting friends, doesn’t he?”
“Let’s hope they have some interesting information,” I said curtly.  We walked in the Foreign Quarter of Vivec.  Personally, I hated the city as it was a bitch to get around in.  Vivec, Vvardenfell’s great city was as divided as its island home.  Much of the city was made up of large cantons ruled by the three Great Houses of Vvardenfell.  Each Canton was separated by endless waterways and canals, much like the Great Houses were separated by culture and dogma. There was the Hlaalu Canton, made up many different races and was the Great House most open to the Empire.  The Redoran Canton was run by House Redoran, a group of fighters and warriors, mostly Dunmer and was considered the most closed to foreigners.   There dislike of the Empire was intense.  The Telvanni Canton was run by mad wizards.  I knew little of them and wished to keep it that way.  The Foreign Quarter was open to all and was Vivec’s main trading canton. The Arena also drew the different factions together, as it would seem that everyone likes a little blood sport. St. Delyn was the canton for various guilds and traders.  St. Olms catered to the pilgrims of the Temple and the…less affluent residents of Vivec. The Hall of Justice and Wisdom was housed here also and was the home the god Vivec’s Ordinators, as sort of mystical police.  I shuddered at the thought of any dealings with them.  Vivec, the god was housed in a magnificent temple.  The temple was locked to the public, unless the god craved an audience—though I couldn’t imagine ever speaking to a living god.  The idea was too strange…too foreign to me.  In Cyrodill, the gods were some invisible force that people prayed to—they never really seemed to touch anyone directly.
 Finally, there was the place that nobody wanted to visit and that none who did came out of.  The Ministry of Truth was a strange egg-shaped rock that floated above the city, housing all sorts of political and spiritual prisoners.  Best to avoid that all together.

Clowns on the left, jokers to the right
Julan and I stumbled through the endless halls of the Foreign Quarter. “There it is, the Black Shalk,” I said with trepidation in my voice.  As we walked in I immediately sensed a tense atmosphere.  I saw Huleeya, the only Argonian in the bar; he was surrounded by some menacing looking Dunmer.  I approached him, “Huleeya, I am an associate of Caius Cosades.  I was wondering if you could tell me about the Sixth House or Nerevarine Cult?”
    “I welcome you as friend of my friend,” Huleeya said nervously.  “But I wish to go to my friend Jobasha’s store and these troublesome fools are in my way.  I have tried to persuade them to let me leave, but they hate my race and I fear there will be violence. The sight of a free Argonian offends these racist thugs.  I do not want to trouble my friend Saralis Golmis by fighting in his club and I would also prefer not to call any extra attention to myself,” he paused looking over at them and then slowly turning his head back to me.  I knew what he was going to say next. “Perhaps if you speak with them,” he said hopefully.  I nodded, knowing how easy it would be as bullies were easily intimidated.  Huyleeya then whispered, “Annika, be careful…and be ready.”
            “Always,” I said with my hand on my hilt. I walked over to Ethys Savil, the n’wah in the way.
“Am I talking to you, fetcher?” he said. “No.  I am talking to the filthy lizard. So push off.”
           “Excuse me?” I had no patience for his kind this early in the morning. “Look, slug I’m willing take you and your miserable friends to Oblivion. So I suggest you shut the fuck up and move out of my way.”
          He looked over at me, then to Julan and Huleeya.   I guess he decided it was not worth the effort. “You wanna talk to that filthy, goddamned lizard, then it’s your problem, not mine.  Get outta here and good riddance.”  I saw the bartender looking nervous.  I figured I’d spare him the headache of clean up and me the headache of explanation.  We’d settle the score later.
          “Fine.” I turned to Huleeya   “Let’s go.”  We moved pass the crowd gathering in bar and made our way to Jobasha’s Bookstore.  The store was lined wall to wall with, what I had guessed, were rare books.  Julan was in heaven, his eyes glazed over looking at all the tomes.
“I used to read all the time, when I was younger,” his whispered in reverence.  “A friend of mine, a trader, used to provide me with books he picked up from his trade routes. People used to tease me about the way I spoke, because I knew so many words.  Most Ashlanders can’t read at all….”
“Well, I have to talk to Huleeya for a while, so make yourself at home, and here’s some of the cash from Mud Crab…so if you see anything you like.”
“Thanks, Anni.”
“Again, it’s yours.  I’ll come get you when I’m done.”
Huleeya took me aside and started speaking about the Nerevarine Cult.  I saw Julan pretending to read a book, looking out of the corner of his eyes.  Huleeya explained the difference in belief between the Ashlander Dunmer and the Dunmer of the Great Houses.  Basically, the settled Dunmer belong to the Great Houses and worshiped the Tribunal, the Ashlanders, still live a tribal existence, worshipping various Daedric princes  and the spirits of their ancestors.   He explained that the Ashlanders had been forced into the poorest lands—with their own kind in a settled existence looking the other way—and now they turn to Nerevar for restoration.  He then spoke of false incarnates—those who believe they were Nerevar reborn, but, in the simplest terms, were not.  Huleeya also warned of the persecution of the Nerevarine by the Temple and Empire.  He stated that Ashlanders generally hated the Ordinators, for their ruthless abuse and murder of the Nerevarine Cultists.  Now Julan’s attitude toward the Empire, the Temple and settled people made more sense.  I understood.
            “I couldn’t help but overhear what you and Huleeya were discussing.”
            “I know.”  Truly I loved his naivety and hoped he’d never lose it.
       “Huleeya has great understanding.  I could have told you all this, but could not have put it so eloquently—not great on details and names.”
            “I finally get it, Julan.”
            “Good Anni…that good.” He squeezed my hand.  “Who’s next?”
“We’ll try Addhiranirr.  Gods know where we will find her.  I’ll have to think like a smuggler.”
“That should be no problem for you, Anni,” Julan laughed.  I gave a quick shot of elbow to the ribs.  
We looked for hours and finally found a nervous Addhiranirr in the St. Olms Underworks.  Addhiranirr was a Khajiit, as was my dear Kat.  Khajiit was another “beast race” of Tamriel.  They hailed from the province of Elsweyr, and were a kind of feline humanoid, known for their intelligence and agility.  They were thieves without comparison. I stared at this Addhiranirr for moment, looking for a piece of Kat, as I did with every Khajiti I encountered, a part of my heart refusing to believe she was dead.   I spoke, haltingly, introducing myself, though Addhiranirr refused to speak to me about anything related to our mission unless I take care of the “nice Census and Excise agent upstairs.”  She was a smuggler and the nice Census and Excise agent could cost her a nice and long stay in an Imperial prison.
"Fuzzy tales for little kitties."
“Ok Addhiranirr.  We’ll be back.  Julan, lets go think of a reasonable lie.”  He nodded in assent. Duvianus Platorius, a plump and over dressed Imperial, was hot on Addhiranirr’s tail—literally—he was in Wasteworks of St Olms, just a floor above Addhiranirr.  I looked around the platform and waited for an opportunity.  A group of people were walking in his direction.  I came in from the opposite direction and ‘accidentally’ ran into him and the group of people.  Papers scattered everywhere and some kids twittered at the mess.  “Top of the morning to you sera,” I said brightly. Duvianus grumbled, slightly embarrassed.  “I see I’ve caused a terrible mess. Oh here…let me help,” I said, smiling sweetly, scattering more papers in the process.
“Uh…its fine, please stop.  I’ll take care of it,” he said, frustrated.  He then rubbed his jaw and looked around, I could see he was thinking. “Perhaps you can help me with something else.  I’m looking for a friend of mine, Addhiranirr…Have you seen her?”
“Actually yes, sera, a couple of hours ago,” I said cheerfully.  “She just took a gondola to the mainland.” It scared me how easily this lie came.
“Damn,” he sighed.  “What a disappointment.  But thank you for your time.  I was just heading back to the mainland myself, anyway.  Maybe I’ll run into her there.”  We waited about twenty minutes watching Platorius gather up his papers and leave.   Julan then turned toward me and stared.
“That was too easy.”
“He bought it hook, line and sinker.”
“No, I meant for you, Anni.”
“I know what you meant,”  I stared straight ahead.  We crawled back down the sewers to a very grateful Addhiranirr, who was all too willing to talk.  She spoke first of the Sixth House.
“Addhiranirr knows about this because it’s about smuggling.  Some smugglers are suddenly too busy for their old clients, because they have a new employer, the Sixth House who pays very well.  Addhiranirr does not know what they smuggle and this is odd, because these smugglers are always loud and bragging.  Now they hush up like fat-bellied kitties full of sweet-meats.”
“Interesting…,” I nodded.  There was much to smuggle in Vvardenfell, in fact the caverns were dripping with loot. Smugglers were naturally paranoid and cautious, though seemingly more so then usual, or at least more than I had observed in Anvil.  Many of the caverns I had hit in recent weeks were guarded by petty criminals or street urchins with little experience in smuggling. Perhaps with the extra bounty their employers had no choice but to hire novices.  “Now what can you tell me about the Nerevarine Cult?”
“Addhiranirr knows nothing about the Nerevarine Cult except that it is just a silly superstition.  So you tell Caius this.  Nobody in her right mind pays any attention to this moon-yowling. Prophecies and ancient heroes reborn and other silliness.  Fuzzy tales for little kitties.” My eyes shot a look to Julan, which meant shut it.
“Thank you for the information and I hope your affairs prosper, Addhiranirr.”
“Good bye, sera.”  I nodded and we made our way out of the Canal Works.  Julan was quiet during the brief walk from St. Olms to the Hall of Wisdom.  I knew he was angry about Addhiranirr assertion that the Nerevarine was a child’s story and I think he was even more offended because he sensed I believed that too.
Finally we found Mehra in the Vivec Library.  She was also nervous.  Seemed Vivec was full of nervous people.  Ordinators made the situation no easier.  I had been threatened once as we were walking down the Foreign Quarters endless halls, and I could barely contain Jules.  Mercifully, the sheer number of books in Vivec’s library had a way of calming him.
“Yes, I’m Mehra,” a tall, copper-eyed Dunmer spoke.  “Caius sent you?  Follow me to the back of the library.  We can’t talk here.”  I saw an Ordinator standing by.  When we reached a quiet corner, we discussed the discrepancies in Temple doctrine.  
Mehra Milo
“So what you’re saying is the Temple worships Nerevar as a saint, but persecutes anyone who speaks of his reincarnation.  That’s hypocrisy, Mehra.” I could not believe these people.  We then spoke about Caius at length.  I wanted knowledge of the man who had my fate in his hands.
“Caius is a dear friend of mine,” started Mehra.  “He admires the best traditions of the Temple like charity, education and protection of the weak.  He is a Westerner, but he has come to love our land and our people.”
“He seems to be, particularly the history.”
 “That is how Caius and I met…looking through history books…” she smiled fondly at the memory.  “Sera, Casius serves the Emperor, but he suspects the Temple is hiding something.  He sees the failing virtues of the Temple as a threat to Vvardenfell’s political stability.”
“Smart man.”
“You are fortunate to know him, sera,” she said softly, cluching a book to her chest.  “I cannot speak much more because I’m being watched,” she paused almost instinctively looking over her shoulder.  “I am careful, but afraid.  Please tell Caius that if anything goes wrong I will leave a message under the agreed code ‘amaya’. Also, you will need to get a copy of the “Progress of Truth” to better understand the dissident priests are fighting for.  There’s a copy here, but you would have to be a particularly skilled thief to get it.”
“I will tell him—and thank you, Mehra.”
“Good luck, Annika,” she said and made her way back to the front.  I had a book to steal so I would need a distraction.
Quickly I turned to Julan.  “Jules, I want you to knock a plant or shelf over and get the attention of those Ordinators, though do nothing that they can arrest you for.”
“My pleasure.” He had been waiting for this.  Julan of course grabbed several books off the shelves and pretended he couldn’t see over them then “ran into” an Ordinator who knocked over a plant that in turn knocked over a shelf.
“Stupid, n’wah!” an Ordinator shouted.  I cued Julan that I had what I need and we quickly exited.
“Excellent work, Julan!”
“I had a wonderful teacher,” he grinned at me.  He paused then spoke, “Mehra seems to have her eyes opened to what is happening, and is trying to find the truth. She knows that Vivec, and the rest of the Tribunal are hiding something.”
“That’s why she’s in trouble, Jules.”
“They better leave her alone, Anni!” he said impassioned.  A man and his cause—how very heroic.
“Let’s get back to Balmora, and pass this along to Cosades.  They’re friends, so maybe he can help her.”
“I’d like to know why Cosades is asking you to find out about the Nerevarine.  Why does he want to know about that?  You haven’t said anything to him about me, have you?”  My gods, what brought on this little bout of paranoia?  “You swore to keep my secret!”
“You know I haven’t said anything, damn it!  Maybe he’s interested in local religion.  You’ve got nothing to worry about.  How could you even ask me that?”
“Because I saw what a good liar you are—and frankly it scares me.”
“If you don’t trust me now then leave. Julan, I’ve held out on saying this, but frankly I’m sick of you questioning me, and the unending paranoia.  I have to work for Cosades, and I’ve had to do some things that are repugnant to me, but gods, I’ve never betrayed you!  I never kept anything or any conversation secret from you—how could I when you immediately snatch the notes from my hand—before I’ve even read them!  So I ask you Julan, who’s using who? ”
“All I will say is this mission is my life.  I will not let anyone stand in the way of it—not even those I care deeply about.”
“That’s not an answer.  I’ve taken some incredible risks on your behalf.  You were never supposed to be privy to any of this.”
“So you finally admit Cosades doesn’t want me to know about this.”
“No,” I paused.  “Not just you—anyone.  I don’t know for what purpose.”
“And you don’t think to ask.”
“No Jules, I don’t.  The less I know the better for the more I find out disturbs me.”  There was another pause.  A tension filled the air as both of us wanted to say things to the other that would indefinitely disturb the already precarious peace.
“Let’s just walk out in the country and cool off for a minute, Anni.  I need to walk.”
“And I need to think.”  I wasn’t sure if he was staying for me, or for the information I was providing him.  The gondolas scattered throughout Vivec would have made for a romantic ride against the setting sun, though we made our way back to the Silt Strider engaging only in small talk. “Anni, I’m going to the South Wall for a drink.  Care to join me?”
“No.”
“Then I’ll see you on the morrow.”  He strode off quickly.  I had been terse, but was tired—of the mission, of the paranoia, and…well of it all…I walked into the house and landed on the bed, turned out the lights and was in a deep sleep with in minutes.


Later that Night

“Aaaaahhhhh!”  
    “Anni, what is it?” Julan ran across the room tripping over his armor.  I hadn’t realized he had come in.  
    “Jules, ah..oh… I had a dream about a man in a golden mask.  I saw myself dead…Oh gods, I was dead!  He kept saying there are many rooms in the house of the Master!  …I can’t fuckin breathe!” I clutched at his chest blindly, in a panic.  The dream came upon me like quicksilver.  It was as real as the arms that were holding me.  The man in the golden masks—was it Dagoth?
            “Anni, Anni, I’m here.  You’re alive…It was just a dream.  You say you saw yourself dead?  Shenogorath, that’s horrible.  Just breathe.  Deep breath…..Close your eyes, Anne.” I felt him rocking me.  He held me until I fell asleep in his arms.
I woke later to another vivid dream.  I was in Anvil.  In the home I wish I could forget.  I walked past many rooms and heard footfall behind me.  Suddenly, I turned and the home changed into a dungeon, walls lined with cells.  Ahead, I saw the man with the golden mask who spoke to me, but I could not understand a word.  He reached to me and his touch was cold, but I could not move, I cried out but could not make a sound.  I woke terrified, unsure of how the dream ended.  Turning over, I watched Julan sleeping peacefully next to me and decided not to wake him.  Frankly, this was not a dream I had any desire to share.  I sat up and reached for the remaining hacklo leaf in Julan’s pouch.  I thought about him and his ‘sacred mission’ and how it seemed to be merging with mine; although mine was far from sacred to me.  I was fearful.  It was obvious now that eventually our missions would cross purposes—what would be the end result?  Would he stand by me?  Would I stand by him?  I was sure I was falling in love with Julan, but would I sacrifice my freedom for him—for love?  I was still unsure—of everything…
          Upon waking in the morning from a fitful sleep, I went to see Cosades.  No need to wake Julan as I had not energy to argue, which is what inevitably happened when Caius was mentioned. The less said about that particular subject, the better.
I joined Caius for some tea and biscuits. He was happy the mission went so well, but concerned for Mehra. “We go way back, Annika.  She was a good friend and confidant when I first arrived.  I may need you to help her later.  Now, I need to review what you have written and see where it fits into your mission.  Take on some more jobs, and come back in a few weeks.  I need time to digest all of this.”
            “Yes, sera.”
            “And Annika…Good work.”

No comments:

Post a Comment